top of page

Craft, activity and play ideas

Public·4 members

Buy Shower Tile Online

Initially, we were planning on purchasing our Carrara marble tiles from a local store here in the DC area. A store that shall remain nameless, but if you live around here and are super curious, or in the market for tile, send me an email.

buy shower tile online

I had our big flat cart next to me, proceeded to the Carrara section, and had begun looking at the tiles. As I looked, I realized that many of these boxes had tiles that looked completely different from the other boxes. Many were almost all white, no veining at all.

Dave and I spent about an hour online once we found it perusing pictures of their products and online galleries. And their tile looked lovely. Even more exciting were their price points. SUPER reasonable for Carrara marble. I contacted them the next day and explained my concerns about buying tiles online.

Just days after purchasing the tiles online, they arrived. Immediately, I started opening those boxes faster than a preppy can order a $7 tall skinny soy vanilla extra hot, extra foam latte at Starbucks. And GUESS WHAT?!

With her work being published both in print and online in places such as Better Homes & Gardens, House Beautiful, Good Housekeeping, Real Simple and more, Heather's goal is to help people create a home they love, one DIY project at a time.

The following tool estimates the total number of tiles necessary to cover a floor, roof, wall, or any other surface. It also considers the gap or overlap between tiles for better accuracy, as shown in the figure below.

Floor or wall tiles are typically installed with gaps between the tiles because the average tile may look quite similar to the next tile, but they are often not uniform in shape and size, and would not fit properly if installed without any gaps. These gaps are most commonly filled with grout, and as such, are often referred to as grout size, or grout lines. Grout is a form of concrete, and the gap between tiles can range from anywhere between one-sixteenth of an inch to half an inch in size. Different sized tiles, materials, and design needs all affect the size of the gaps. Although it is typically more difficult to have small gaps between tiles due to lack of a uniform shape and size, the use of rectified tiles (tiles that undergo additional processing to ensure that they are uniform) can allow for smaller spacing, though at an additional cost. For more uniformly cut tiles such as granite, smaller grout spacing can result in less visibility of grout lines between each tile.

In some cases, such as with roofing tile or the wood siding of a wall, rather than having a gap between them, tiles overlap to prevent leakage. The tile calculator can account for both of these situations. Either enter a positive value if there is a gap between the tiles being used, or a negative value if the tiles overlap.

Tile size can range anywhere from smaller mosaics that are 3/8", to 24" 48" slab tiles and everything in between. Square sizes (same width and length) are the most popular, accessible, and easiest to install. While straight edge tiles (rectangular, square, parallelogram) are the most common, unique tile shapes also exist, though installation is not as easy. Large tile sizes can make smaller rooms appear bigger, as well as more open and clean because there are fewer grout lines. However, installing larger tiles results in more wastage, while using smaller tiles can help add texture to a room.

There are a number of different classifications of tiles, including ceramic, porcelain, glass, quarry, and stone. Ceramic and porcelain tiles are the most cost efficient, and come in a variety of different styles. Glass tiles, while not appropriate for flooring because they crack under pressure, are visually unique and interesting; they are most commonly used for kitchen and bathroom backsplashes. Quarry tiles have rough surfaces that are good for floors that require grip, and are commonly used outdoors and in restaurant kitchens. Stone tiles include marble and granite, which provide unique and natural stone patterns, textures, and colors that are difficult to achieve using ceramics. They also offer the illusion of blending into grout edges, giving off an overall uniform look.

There are many different patterns used when installing tiles. The most common pattern used is a linear grid, with square or rectangular tiles, or a pattern involving angled squares or rectangles that form a typical diamond shape.

If you want to minimize tile cost with low prices and low overage, then you need to shop at an inexpensive tile store. This includes Home Depot and Lowes and other similar big-box general home improvement stores.

A more focused tile and flooring budget retail chain like Floor & Decor can be a good option for more selection. Stores like Floor&Decor also have liberal return policies which makes for near-zero overage costs on tile projects.

Designer tile suppliers will also usually have restrictive return policies. You will need to preplan carefully to minimize overage costs when getting tile from stores with a limited return time or added restocking fees.

These independent specialty boutique tile stores are middlemen. Their value added (and markup) is based on the fact that they can source tile from hundreds of different suppliers ranging from global manufacturers to individual artisans. So, these stores can offer a huge variety of tile options.

The main potential upside is selection. If you want to be really mercenary, then you can even visit several local specialty tile shops to see tile samples in person and then look online to see if you can source those same exact tiles for less. This is like browsing at your local bookstore and then buying from Amazon.

The downsides are scheduling, customer service, and returns. If an online tile order gets screwed up, then it can take weeks to straighten things out to get the proper tile on hand. This can create chaos for a tight renovation project timeline. Also, if an online order arrives with a significant number of cracked or chipped tiles then it can also take weeks to get replacement material (if even still available for closeout specials). This can also derail your entire reno project timeline in the meantime.

While you can get a slab cut into your run-of-the-mill rectangular or square tiles, you can get customized cuts and create show-stopping patterns a la Kelly Wearstler. Seriously, that woman knows her stuff with designing bold and totally un-boring floors (and rooms and restaurants, I could literally go on and on).

This post should be included in interior design and house renovation text books! It is awesome and fully comprehensive. Thank you, Grace.Only one thing that it is important, the smaller the tiles the more expensive it is to put them on the wall and the more skilful the workers have to be.Also, rectified tiles are more expensive to instal.It is very practical to put big tiles in your kitchen with some shine. They are very easy to clean. 041b061a72

About

Welcome to the group! You can connect with other members, ge...
bottom of page